If you have a newer home or a newer air conditioner, it should run pretty quietly. However, an old, loud unit can be a real pain. It might wake you up if it kicks on in the middle of the night, or even prevent you from falling asleep. Unusual noises coming from your A/C could just be a small problem, but letting it go could lead to a major issue. In this post, we’ll take a look at what causes them to be so loud, and how to fix it.
TYPES OF A/C NOISES
- Loud Banging/Clanking: This is a possible indication of a part broken off inside your A/C compressor. This could be a connecting rod, crankshaft, or piston pin. If your compressor needs replacing or your blower is unbalanced, it should be repaired right away.
- Clicking: A clicking sound when the A/C fires up or turns off is probably ok. However, if it’s ongoing, that may signal a problem with your thermostat. If it involves the electric connections in your system, it’s a good idea to get it checked out.
- Squealing: This sound can come from motors on both your outdoor and indoor units. When the motors are squealing, that’s a sign they could be about to die.
- Humming: Humming is a typical sound for A/C units, but if you’re just noticing something new, there could be an issue. It could mean loose parts or something off within the piping. If it’s bothersome, definitely have it checked out.
- Buzzing: Buzzing could be caused by several things: debris caught in either the indoor or outdoor unit, a loose fan motor, dirt in the condenser coil, loose fan blades, dirty air filters, or a leak.
- Rattling: This could simply indicate your system is getting old. Over time, debris can clog up the system causing it to rattle. There could also be an electrical issue or loose parts. Tightening loose screws, cleaning the coils, and changing filters are things you can do on your own, but if the rattling noises persist, it’s best to call a pro.
WORTH THE CALL
Like we explained, not every noise requires a call or is necessarily even a concern. However, if your air conditioner ever makes the very high pitched scream or whistle sound, you should call immediately. That usually indicates a refrigerant leak, which can be bad for your entire system, and for you! Make an appointment to have us check out your system today, by calling 830-428-2764 or scheduling an appointment online for our Fall Clean & Check. The Bosworth Company in Kerrville is Worth the Call. Always.