All About Air Filters!
Air filters serve a critical role in ensuring that HVAC units perform properly. They filter out pollen, dust, and other airborne debris, promoting the home’s indoor air quality. Yet, despite their simple design, there’s more to air filters than what meets the eye.
Here, homeowners can get answers to these three questions about HVAC maintenance and air filters:
What Are Air Filters?
As noted, air filters are replaceable components that filter out contaminants from the air. They’re used in cars, homes––anything that relies on a centralized system to heat and cool air. Some things to know about air filters include:
- Size matters. There aren’t one-size-fits-all air filters. A homeowner should know the filter’s length, width, and height before heading to the hardware store. Otherwise, the HVAC system won’t perform as well as it could.
- Air filters offer safety. A dirty AC filter won’t regulate the home’s indoor air quality efficiently. That’s because they prevent the system from “breathing” and effectively circulate air. Air filters prevent overheating, which can lead to fires.
- Some air filters are reusable. Until recently, homeowners had to buy a new air filter every time it needed replacing. Not anymore. Now, reusable filters need a good hosing down before they’re re-inserted into the AC system.
How Often Do Air Filters Need Replacing?
EnergyStar notes that homeowners should change their air filters once every three months as a standard practice. Yet, one may consider replacing the AC’s air filter even sooner if they:
- Experience respiratory problems. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notes that poor indoor air quality (which dirty air filters can cause) can cause health problems, such as coughing, sneezing, and shortness of breath.
- Have furry friends in the house. Although they’re beloved family members, pets can shed a lot, producing dander. Their fur can clog up the air filter, prompting more frequent changes.
- Notice mold growth. Mold and mildew growth in dark, damp conditions. A dirty air conditioning filter may fail to control the home’s humidity, leading to these growths.
What Are the Benefits of Prompt AC Filter Replacement?
There are countless benefits to replacing the air filter promptly. Here are four:
- Better health. Nobody wants to get dragged down by respiratory problems or general malaise. One could breathe easier by keeping up with their air filter’s replacement schedule.
- Mold prevention. Over time, mold can eat away at a home’s drywall, cause foul odors, and increase the likelihood of health complications. Replacing the air filter would prevent such growth and complications.
- A longer-lasting AC system. The U.S. Department of Energy reports that the average AC system lasts 10 to 15 years. With regular air filter replacement, one’s system could last even longer.
- Lower heating and cooling costs. If an AC system has to work “overtime” because of a dirty AC filter, homeowners will see that work reflected in their monthly energy bill.
About The Bosworth Company Kerrville
With more than 15 years of experience serving Hill Country, there’s no better home improvement service than The Bosworth Company Kerrville. They offer 100 percent guaranteed satisfaction, 24/7 live answering, and background-checked technicians. They help with air filter replacement and a whole lot more. Homeowners can call today to set up an appointment.